Monday, March 31, 2008

High Key/Low Key Lighting

Examples of High Key lighting. Designed to flatter and works best on children and women. Very few shadows and very even lighting.









Low Key lighting is much darker and designed to bring out texture and isolate certain qualities. It is best used on men and to create a visually interesting shot. The example below is called Rembrandt lighting. One side of the face is lit well and the other is cast in shadow with the exception of a small area of light below the eye. I didn't have as much time to work on this one and so I only have one really good shot. Thanks mom for posing for me!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Cadence cracks me up. I like the one where she is shaking her fist at you. LOL

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh..I am laughing so hard right now at Cadence! Great stuff there! I love the high key lighting. Can't wait to learn that, but the low key stuff is soooooo what I am excited for!!!

Kennedy said...

Cadence is a riot these days! I'm sure that you guys are experiencing that with your own kids at home though!

Becky - the intermediate class is soooooo much fun. You have so much more freedom and the assignments leave so much room to play. The High Key is night to know since most people prefer it, but the Low Key is hard to get right and so awesome when you do! Now if I could just get my husband to let me get some studio lights...I only need like 5...and all the stuff that goes with them...lol...I will have to e-mail you my teacher's name for this class cause I really think you would like him!